Savvy travelers know these days that in addition to reviewing cheap travel options, such as cheap airplane tickets, discount hotel rooms, discount travel deals, and cheap vacation packages, you also should identify and download travel apps prior to your departure that can improve the quality of your trip.
The following are the favorite travel apps of 10Best and USA readers ranked in order of preference (from 1 on down):
1. Waze links users to a large group of drivers who share real time traffic information so that they can adjust their travel routes to avoid traffic jams and accidents.
2. TravelSafe makes emergency information readily available to travelers, including local police and fire department phone numbers, as well as contact information for the nearest embassy.
3. TripAdvisor provides current hotel, restaurant, and attraction reviews to help prevent visitors from be unpleasantly surprised.
4. Skyscanner saves times and money when purchasing airline tickets by pulling together prices from a number of airlines and travel sites to find the cheapest available fares.
5. Tripit pulls together various confirmations and travel itineraries. Users forward their hotel, restaurant, rental car, flight and other confirmation emails to Tripit which then compiles them in a single place.
6. FlightTrack notifies users on delays, cancellations, and gate changes. Terminal maps are provided to help find dining spots and make shopping a breeze.
7. Hipmunk helps pull together information from multiple sources on the web making it easy to compare rates and deals from a variety of travel providers.
8. Foursquare enables travelers to look up tips, comments, and reviews on restaurants and attractions from users who have previously visited these establishments.
9. Foodspotting helps users find the best eateries close by.
10. Viber enables users to make free calls and messages to other Viber users anywhere on the planet.
11. WeatherPro provides weather information on over 2 million destinations across the planet.
12. Duolingo provides free, fun, and effective language lessons in several languages. When traveling abroad knowing a little of the local language can enhance your experience.
13. Wi-Fi Finder helps users find free Wi-Fi signals in an unfamiliar city.
14. Uber connects travelers with drivers in 50 cities throughout 26 countries, making trips to and from the airport a snap.
15. XE Currency provides live currency quotes to enable users to easily convert prices quoted in foreign currencies into US dollars.
16. GateGuru makes airport layovers more agreeable by providing information regarding airport restaurants, shops, delays, and gate changes.
17. WorldMate is a favorite of business travelers because it compiles flight and connection information, weather forecasts, a currency converter, tip calculator, and the user's calendar into a single app.
18. Time Out city guides shares the latest information on a city's hottest places to eat, party, or visit.
19. HopStop tells users how to save time and money by using public transportation in some of the world's largest cities. It tells you the best way to get from point A to point B and projects your transit time.
20. Onavo reduces the amount of data it takes to browse the web, send photos, and check emails. This comes in handy for travelers concerned about generating large roaming charges when abroad.
By Stephen D Robinson